Wednesday, May 26, 2010

No Big Deal

Sunday night I survived my first large social gathering as a vegetarian when the singles group at my church had a fellowship at the home of some friends of mine. The common running joke is that Baptists can't get together without involving food and that is no less true when the gathering is approximately one half single men. They broke out the grill, which meant a huge pile of hot dogs and kielbasa, but there were other things to be had as well, and I certainly didn't starve. I was a little concerned going in, but I figured that if I simply passed up the meat and ate other things no one would really notice, and I was right.

I will confess that when the hostess noticed I wasn't partaking of the hot dogs and asked if I was sure I didn't want one I simply turned it down rather than explaining why. I'm not sure if that was the right way to handle it. I certainly wouldn't want her to think I was turning down food just to turn down food, but at the same time I don't think that every food choice I make has to come from being a vegetarian, and I know that not everyone is going to want to hear about it. I imagine eventually eyes will start rolling and I'll hear: "Yes, Darcy, we know you're a vegetarian."

Maybe I need to investigate vegetarian etiquette before the Memorial Day barbecue I'm going to on Saturday. One thing I have read though is that it is considered good etiquette, for vegetarians especially, to offer to bring a dish of some kind when invited to a meal or party so as not to put any undue stress on the hosts, and I think that's very appropriate. My food choices are my own thing, and though I'd love to inspire others to try vegetarian eating, I don't want them to feel like they need to cater to me. It's not like I have a deadly allergy.  So to the barbecue this weekend I'm bringing a Greek-style pasta salad made with orzo. Should be yummy. To the singles group fellowship Sunday night I took a vegan chocolate chocolate chip cake made from the Dairy-Free Chocolate Cake recipe in The Joy of Cooking. Check out my new Recipes page for the recipe.

I did get a few questions about my new diet, but no criticisms or defensiveness, which is what I was bracing myself for. It was a great evening catching up with friends. I didn't go hungry. People seemed to enjoy the cake (though most didn't know it was vegan, ha ha!). No big deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment