Tuesday, February 1, 2011

What I’m Eating for Dinner

It’s been a while since I did a post about the newest recipes I’ve tried, and I’ve recently tried a few great ones. They are listed below with links so you can try them yourself.

Mediterranean White Bean Soup (see Recipes page): This recipe comes from The Joy of Cooking. It’s called “pantry soup” in the Mediterranean region because it is made with pantry staples such as dried beans, olive oil, and canned diced tomatoes. This simple soup is absolutely my favorite thing right now. It’s super cheap, and making a double batch is just as easy as a single batch. It freezes well, which means you can have delicious, hot lunches all through the winter.

Red Lentil Sweet Potato Curry: I found this recipe after I bought a couple of sweet potatoes because they were on sale for almost nothing. I’m not a huge fan of sweet potatoes, so I went looking for a recipe I could add them to rather than eat them on their own. This recipe is so good I made it again the next week with some green lentils I had on hand (since I had used all the red I bought for the first batch). The green were just as good, however, because they take longer to cook the pieces of sweet potato completely disintegrated. This dish is even better served with warmed pitas.

Quick and Easy Potato Soup: This recipe comes via my favorite food blog, Fat Free Vegan Kitchen. I’ve only tried it with soy milk, which makes the soup come out kind of frothy, but the flavor is wonderful and mild. I’m not sure if other non-dairy milks will have the same frothy effect once blended. Make it in small batches you can eat within a few days, because it does not freeze well. The milk turns grainy and the potatoes lose the nice texture they developed while baking. This makes a very quick soup if you microwave the potatoes, but I think it’s worth the time to bake them. Add 1 cup of canned great northern beans for a protein boost.

Post recipes or links in the comments section below to share with others what you’ve been cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment