Saturday, June 12, 2010

I'm done!

Psalm 24: 1 states, "The earth is the Lord's, and the fullness thereof; the world and those who dwell therein." In light of the recent oil disaster in the Gulf of Mexico this verse resonates strongly with me today. As a born again Christian I know that God created the earth just as it is recorded in Genesis 1. It is no less true today that it was then and it is no less true in the Gulf of Mexico than it is while sitting in church, Sunday School or seminars on creation, and yet there are flocks of Christians bending over backwards to avoid saying that the BP oil spill is a terrible thing. If you ask them directly they will say it is bad, but . . . And there's always that "but." And what follows the "but" is typically something straight from Sean Hannity or Tea Party bullet points. The "but" is always political. Why isn't the "but" biblical?

Yes, this blog post is going to read like a rant today, because that is what it is. A raw, passionate rant against Christians who respond to current American life more like Republicans or Tea Partiers or whatever else they want to call themselves and less like biblical Christians. I realize that I am being harsh, but it makes me angry to see God's precious creation desecrated and His children responding with, "The planet has seen worse." Is that true? Undoubtedly, but the planet also saw worse than the Holocaust, Hiroshima and 9/11.

Imagine, if you will, that you have built a home from scratch with your own two hands. It is beautiful. It is exactly how you wanted it. And you turn it over to someone else to take care of; someone you love and who you trust. Then imagine this person uses your house to earn some money. No sweat. Everyone has to make a living, right? Then imagine this person's quest for money results in the destruction of part of your house, not totally beyond repair, but it will take a great deal of effort and time to restore it to what it had been. And then imagine the person who caused the destruction, when confronted with their actions, responds to you with, "I know it's bad, but I've seen worse." I sincerely hope that none of us would behave in that way, and yet . . .

At what point did popular American Christianity,  however subconsciously, start putting politics first? We like to congratulate ourselves that we are bringing biblical Christianity to politics when we support bans on partial-birth abortion and homosexual marriage, and yet for some reason when it comes to protecting something that God touched with His own hands we leave it to the Sierra Club? If God sees when a sparrow falls can we believe He doesn't see the flocks of brown pelicans covered with oil, the thousands of sea turtles staring extinction in the face, and countless other creatures, not the least of which are the 11 men who were killed in man's quest for more, more money, more convenience, more more more. When does it end?

When my nephew was just learning to speak he would respond to things he didn't like, such as dinner, with "I'm done!" And that's how I feel today. I've had it up to my eyeballs, and I hope other Christians will join me in speaking out against man's continued wholesale pillaging of God's earth. I've had enough. Yes, I'm a vegetarian environmentalist and it is because I love the things that God has created, the trees, the animals, and the Gulf of Mexico. If that makes me a liberal then a liberal be I, but I'll be a biblical liberal who puts God's creation before anything that has to do with politics.

No comments:

Post a Comment