Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Surrounded by Barbecue

For new vegetarians summer holidays can pose unique dilemmas. Invariably, unless gathering with other vegetarians, you'll be surrounded by piles of barbecue and grilled meats. (For those of you in the South, barbecue is its own dish, for those of use who grew up in anywhere else, barbecuing is a technique. I use the southern definition here, since I live in the South.) Fortunately, barbecues usually indicate massive quantities of any kind of food and I entertained this hope last Saturday as I made my pasta salad, knowing there would be at least one or two edible things for me.

The pasta salad I made was largely edible (I've posted the recipe on the Recipes page), though I made far more than necessary. And I certainly didn't go hungry. There was potato salad next to my pasta salad, fresh vegetables, strawberries and blueberries, mango salsa and tortilla chips. I know I ate too much, but that is the fault of my sister's sister-in-law who made two beautiful pound cakes, which she served with berries. I did my duty as an honorary member of my sister's extended family by trying both the plain and lemon pound cakes.

Again, no big deal. It turns out that all my concern about how people would potentially react to my new eating choices were unfounded. No one said a word to me. Either everyone knew and didn't care or they didn't even notice I didn't have a hamburger or grilled sausage amidst my other piles of food. It was a wonderful evening. I think I can finally put my fears to rest. I know that I will run into people who will get defensive at the mere uttering of the word "Vegetarian," but the positive experiences I have had so far have, I think, equipped me to stay calm and then quietly tell them that I'm sure they have more important things to worry about than what I'm eating. All in a spirit of love, of course . . . .

Taking a step back in time, the big challenge of the weekend came in the form of the local barbecue cook-off. I, of course, participated because the rest of the family was. My chief concern was not being tempted to eat the barbecue (though it lingered in the back of my mind). In my carnivorous days I wasn't a fan of the dish anyway. My concern was how I would feel by being surrounded by large quantities of dead animal flesh. I think I masked my feelings fairly well, but in all honesty, I found the whole thing rather disgusting, though I realize I'm still in the newly converted vegetarian how-can-you-eat-the-rotting-flesh-of-dead-animals? stage. I needn't have worried one moment.

Prior to the cook-off I fortified myself against any potential hunger by eating breakfast a little later than normal and then eating a snack right before leaving the house. It worked like a charm. I not only wasn't hungry, but my stomach was full. Another crisis averted. So far as I know I have clear sailing until my church's Fourth of July shindig. Perhaps I'll be brave enough to bring a quinoa salad and introduce everyone to my new world of food.

No comments:

Post a Comment