Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Darcy vs. The Pressure Cooker, Round Two


Once again I pulled the pressure cooker out of my pantry and set about cooking up beans: black, kidney, Great Northern. I had soaked all three varieties overnight and got to work early Saturday afternoon. And once again I had beans that smooshed everywhere, only they didn’t taste overcooked this time. I was starting to get frustrated until I realized the reason for all the smooshiness wasn’t overcooking, but that several beans had split while soaking. Without intact skins to hold the bean together the split beans smooshed all over the whole beans making a bit of a mess, tasty mess though it was.
 
So back to the drawing board. The next attempt will include garbanzo beans and a brining technique. I have read that soaking the beans in salty water will prevent splitting. No split skins will hopefully mean no pressure cooker with a layer of smoosh on the bottom. We shall see. The next round will take place in a week or two and of course I’ll give you the blow by blow here.

No comments:

Post a Comment