Sunday, May 15, 2011

One Year . . . And Counting


Today marks one year since I started eating vegetarian, and what an interesting year it has been. I’ve tried foods I had never tried before, recipes I had never made before, and I’ve loved every meal of it. I can’t imagine ever going back to a meat-eating lifestyle.

Making a conscious decision to leave behind eating animals is one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life. From it I have gleaned an awareness of how important food choices are for one’s overall health. When I purchase food that is good for me, good for the environment, and reduces the demand for meat it does more for me than contribute to my physical health. Making a compassionate decision with my wallet is also good for my spirit. At the risk of sounding new age-y or mystical, being connected to my food in such a good way just makes me feel better all around.

I cannot imagine that the Lord ever intended for His creation to be used and abused in the way it has been over the last several decades. Once confronted with the evidence of factory farming, I knew I had a decision to make. I could continue to provide money to companies who exploit animals (and even people) for profit or I could spend my food budget dollars more wisely. It is a question of stewardship, and I have made the choice to distance myself from factory farming, from pain and misery, and from poor health.

It’s not always easy and sometimes it’s downright inconvenient, but doing a good thing isn’t always convenient. Sometimes it means eating peanut butter or salad more often than I would wish, or having a small snack and delaying a meal, but it’s worth it. Lord willing, I look forward to many years of vegetarianism ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment